Updated: Nov 10, 2019
For the most part, I’m a creature of habit. Especially when it comes to what I keep in my fridge. I tend to keep a lot of the same staples on hand and I try and make a lot of the same meals on a rotating schedule so that I don’t have to think too much about that during a busy week.
That said, discovering the multitudes of gluten free, dairy free, paleo, avocado baked dishes, coconut sugar, coconut flour, etc…….. recipes that are out there has thrown my sense of diet and shopping stability all out of whack! Not that I’m complaining. It’s a good thing, and I am having so much fun making all these healthier dishes.
Like, who knew that there were so many gluten free avocado brownie recipes out there?! I sure didn’t. But, now that I’m in the know, and since I'm a brownie fiend, I’ve made 3 different batches of them in 3 weeks. All a little different, one very dense and rich, one didn’t turn out all that well, and this latest one is the easiest, lightest, and most moist one.
So, now I am sharing my findings with you.
Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies
2 soft avocados
1/2 cup chocolate powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees
* Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking pan with coconut oil
* Place an oven-proof bowl over a small pot with about an inch of water.
* Pour chocolate chips into the bowl that is sitting over the pot of water and bring water to a boil
* Turn heat down to about medium high and allow chocolate chips to melt
* Remove from heat immediately after chips have melted and allow the chocolate to cool just slightly
* Blend avocados and coconut sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy
*.Add eggs and vanilla and mix again until smooth
* Add chocolate powder, coconut flour, and baking soda, and fold just until all dry ingredients are mixed in
* Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean
Like frosting on your brownies like I do? Here you go!
Dark Chocolate Avocado Frosting
1 soft avocado
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
* Mix all ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy
* Store in fridge and spread onto brownies once they are fully cooled
Be sure and store the brownies in the refrigerator. They should last a few days longer without the icing.