I have to admit that I am a huge consumer and fan of cauliflower. I would eat it every day if someone put it in front of me. That said, I never really considered making a home made batch of cream of cauliflower soup until very recently. Mainly because I don't really do milk or cream based soups. But, because I had a huge amount of it in my fridge and was trying to find some new and healthy ways to prepare it other than the usual steaming, I decided to get creative.
So, I looked through several recipes and finagled my own, and… well, it turned out pretty fabulous!
Super easy, gluten free, dairy free, and paleo. and it couldn't be more delicious! I hope you guys will give it a try and let me know how it turns out!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cream of Cauliflower Soup
3 Tbsp of coconut oil
1 red grilling onion, diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 large head of cauliflower (about 4 cups), cut into small pieces
1 large carton of vegetable broth (48 oz)
2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp chives
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper (or more, to taste)
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
3/4 Tbsp turmeric
1/2 cup mushrooms
Toppings (one or all of the following are delicious on top, but, you can use what you want or like, of course)
coconut milk or cream
cashew pieces (whaaaaat? yes, that's right!)
* in a large pot, add coconut oil, diced onion, and garlic and heat on med-high until just starting to soften.
* add all the spices and cook another 1-2 minutes, just until spices are absorbed into mixture.
* add cauliflower and vegetable broth, and heat ingredients to a boil.
* turn heat down to medium, cover, leaving just a small opening between the lid and the pot, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.
* turn heat off, and allow soup to cool just slightly.
* place soup in portions into a blender or Vitamix type machine to puree the soup, until all soup has been pureed.
* once all soup is pureed and back in the pot, add the coconut milk, and serve with topping of your choice!
* marvel at the wonders of cauliflower. :)
Makes about 6-8 servings.