Cashew Queso with Sautéed Spinach
Makes 2-4 servings
Keeps up to 5 days in the fridge
When I make my almost daily trip to Central Market in Dallas, one of my very favorite departments to meander through is the cheese department. I have a love affair with all things cheese! And, there are so many different varieties to learn about and try.
But, that doesn’t mean that I can eat as much cheese as I’d love to. It just doesn’t always sit well with me. So, I look for alternatives when I can. That’s why I decided to play around with this Cashew Queso dip. And, I have to say, it’s quite a stellar substitute! It doesn’t really taste a whole lot like cheese, but, with the consistency and the spinach, it’s such a great and addictive dip.
I hope you'll give it a try!
What You'll Need
1 cup of raw cashews
3/4 cup hot water (you may need to add a little more, a Tbsp at a time, if consistency is off)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Handful of baby spinach
Half of a shallot, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
Tbsp chopped green onions, diced
* Place all blender ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. You may need to add a but more water or a few more cashews, just until it is the consistency you want it to be.
* Pour into medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
* Place olive oil into a small skillet.
* Dice shallot and clean spinach so it's ready.
* Turn heat to medium and start to heat oil. Add shallot immediately and stir heating until shallot is just turning translucent.
* Add spinach and heat just until the spinach is wilted and covered in the olive oil. This happens very quickly with spinach, about 3-4 minutes should be enough.
* Remove from heat.
* Fold the spinach mixture into the cashew mixture just before you want to serve. Fold gently.
* Place dip into a serving bowl, top with diced green onions, and serve warm!